An off-duty firefighter helped knock down a fire that broke out in the AMC Garden State 16 Friday caused by a faulty popcorn machine, authorities said.
Paramus Volunteer Firefighter Billy Rice Jr. was watching a movie with his wife when a commercial popcorn machine began to malfunction -- filling the theater with smoke, Fire Chief Kenneth Ehrenberg said.
Rice -- a paid firefighter for the Hackensack Police Department -- grabbed several fire extinguishers and used them to knock the fire down until the Paramus Fire Department arrived, the chief said.
Firefighters evacuated the theater, which remained closed for the rest of the night due to residual smoke, Ehrenberg said.
There were no reported injuries and the fire department left the scene about 90 minutes after the call.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.