Paramus Mayor James Tedesco was OK after he touched a metal fence and was zapped by the current from a downed power line, Police Chief Richard Cary said.
Tedesco, who has been a volunteer firefighter nearly two decades, was one of the first on the scene at West Midland Avenue, where sparks were flying from a house nearby, the chief said.
The mayor “initially approached the house but observed that the live wire outside appeared to have energized the house through the water/sewer system,” Cary said. “As he was exiting the exterior of the property to await a PSE&G power shutdown, he received a shock when he touched a fence on the East side of the home.”
He was treated at the scene by Paramus EMS and remained there until the fire investigation was concluded, the chief said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.